This course will provide the basics of medical / dental coding and will give participants the confidence to implement a cross coding system of their own. Many of our students are general dentists and office administrators exploring the possibilities of billing medical insurance to see if it is a good fit for their practice. It is important to note that medical insurance billing is a team driven process, therefore, it is beneficial for the clinical staff to take part as well.
Note: The intent of this class is to teach students how to bill medical insurance with their current dental software system. There are many other ways of submitting claims, which include buying another software or outsourcing to a billing company. In this class, it is our goal to keep this process as simple as possible by keeping it in-house.
- How to integrate medical billing into the dental practice for medically necessary procedures
- Learn what procedures are medically billable
- Learn the responsibilities of team members, starting
with the dentist
- Understand why documentation and records are vital
- Learn how to write SOAP notes
- How to successfully use CPT, ICD and HCPCS codes
- Learn how to complete the CMS-1500 medical claim form
We will also focus on several key documents:
- Comprehensive Medical Examination (CME)
- Letter of Medical Necessity (LMN)
- Operative Report (OR)
This video gives you a brief overview
of the Introduction to our online class
Please realize, this is not a complete, comprehensive package, in that some information is beyond the scope of this course.
You will still need to do some learning as you go, as it relates to your individual circumstances and practice.